Who needs the Driver CPC Certification?

Image for post
Image for post

If you’re asking ‘Do I would a CPC?’ take a glance at the following info, that talks about who needs CPC training and can help you to understand whether you’re affected.

Firstly we understand what is CPC? Driver CPC is a Certificate of Professional Competence. It was first presented over the EU in 2008 for professional bus drivers and 2009 for professional truck drivers. Its goal is to set and keep up high standards of road safety, health and safety and driving among professional drivers of buses and trucks. A Driver CPC Qualification Card is not a driving permit. When you are completely CPC qualified you can apply for and get your Drivers CPC card. Both your driving licence and Drivers CPC qualification card must be conveyed by you at whatever point you are driving your truck or bus professionally.

Who needs Driver CPC:

Any drivers of lorries over 3.5 tonnes and passenger conveying vehicles carrying nine or more people will require the CPC as well as their vocational permit. Without it, you can not legally drive the vehicle. In case you’re an employer, you are legally obliged to make sure drivers of such vehicles hold the CPC and ensure that drivers re-establish their qualification every five years.

In certain situation, you may not require CPC certification, regardless of whether you’re driving a large goods vehicle or passenger carrying the vehicle. It depends on the vehicle and what the vehicle is being used for. CPC is required for driving professionally in the UK and EU while operating an LGV or Minibus vehicle for hire or reward alongside holding the correct licence privileges to the vehicle you use.

If you drive any of the accompanying as a means of your principal source of earning, you should be CPC certified:

· Articulated lorries

· Tipper trucks

· Bin lorries

· Heavy construction equipment

· Buses — both regional and local

· Coaches — both regional and continental

Lorry (LGV) drivers who acquired their permit (C, C1, C+E and C1+E) before 10 September 2009 and Bus and mentor (PCV) drivers who hold a significant vocational licence (D, D1, D+E and D1+E) picked up before 10 September 2008, (including restricted vocational licence D (101) issued after 1991 and D1 (101) issued before 1997) don’t have to take the underlying qualification. This is because they are esteemed to hold ‘acquired rights’. Notwithstanding, they will still need to finish periodic training to keep their Driver CPC.

Driver CPC Exceptions:

While Driver CPC regulations will apply to most by far of cases there are certain examples where exceptions apply. Drivers do not have a Driver CPC licence if the vehicle they drive:

· Has a most extreme authorised speed not surpassing 28mph

· Is utilized by, or under the control of, the military, civil defence, the fire administration and forces responsible for keeping up public order

· Is experiencing road tests for technical improvement, repair or maintenance purposes

· Is a new or reconstructed vehicle which has not yet been put into administration

· Is utilized in highly sensitive situations or assigned to rescue missions

· Is utilized for driving lessons for those needing to acquire a driving permit or a Driver CPC

· Is utilized for non-commercial carriage of travellers or goods, for individual use

· Is conveying material or equipment to be utilized by the driver in the course of his or her work, gave that driving the vehicle isn’t the driver’s principal activity

All drivers have to complete 35 hours of periodic training every five years on an ongoing premise to continue driving for a living. Drivers can check their Driver CPC periodic training record online to see how many long they have done.

This video helps explain which Driver’s CPC a new HGV driver needs, and what they will need in the future.


Your drivers should always carry proof of their Driver CPC status. Whenever found driving without a Driver Qualification Card, (or a valid driving permit, if they have obtained /grandfather rights), they will be liable for punishments. It’s essential to ensure you get the right training you require, as this can spare you money and time if done correctly.

HGV Training Services (HGVT): We are the UK’s largest supplier of HGV training. Our pass rates are significantly above UK average. We’re dedicated to raising st

Get the Medium app

A button that says 'Download on the App Store', and if clicked it will lead you to the iOS App store
A button that says 'Get it on, Google Play', and if clicked it will lead you to the Google Play store